Sunday, July 31, 2016

Among the Wicked ~ Linda Castillo


    26031833
  • Series: Kate Burkholder (Book 8)
  • Hardcover: 320 pages
  • Publisher: Minotaur Books (July 12, 2016)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1250061571
  • ISBN-13: 978-125006157



Chief of Police Kate Burkholder is called upon by the sheriff's department in rural, upstate New York to assist on a developing situation that involves a reclusive Amish settlement and the death of a young girl. Unable to penetrate the wall of silence between the Amish and "English" communities, the sheriff asks Kate to travel to New York, pose as an Amish woman, and infiltrate the community.
Kate's long time love interest, State Agent John Tomasetti, is dead set against her taking on such an unorthodox assignment, knowing she'll have limited communication - and even less in the way of backup. But Kate can't turn her back, especially when the rumor mill boils with disturbing accounts of children in danger. She travels to New York where she's briefed and assumes her new identity as a lone widow seeking a new life.
Kate infiltrates the community and goes deep under cover. In the coming days, she unearths a world built on secrets, a series of shocking crimes, and herself, alone... trapped in a fight for her life.

My take on this book:
I can't believe that this is actually the eighth book in the Kate Burkholder series, but I will say this I hope this series continues forever! Ms. Castillo keeps the character of Kate Burkholder and her storyline fresh and once I start reading there is no way that I can put the book down until the end! 

Among the Wicked is probably the best book I have read so far this year, and actually it's probably the best book in this series. With this story Kate goes undercover in an Amish community that is several hours from Holmes County in order to figure out what happened to a fifteen year old girl. Thing is it doesn't take Kate long to figure out that there is something isn't right but her questions not only put her in danger but also the people whom has befriended her in the community. The things that she starts to uncover is more than anyone could have ever imagined, and it looks like Kate might pay the ultimate price for solving the case!

Page turning suspense where what I thought I knew wasn't nearly as bad as what was finally revealed. Zig zagging plot twists that had me on the edge of my seat wondering what might happen to Kate, but also trying to figure out what was going on in the community. Ms. Castillo knows how to plant an idea in your mind and lead you down a path making you think you are figuring the plot out and then she provides a zinger that takes you in another direction. The surprising twists at the end totally blindsided me and made me feel like I had been on one wild ride! I will admit there were a few poignant moments woven into the story, one could feel the longing that Kate felt as she wondered how her life might have been different if only she hadn't left her Amish roots. The continuing relationship with Tomasetti adds another layer to Kate's story as she struggles to be independent and make her own decisions while also being in a relationship where Tomasetti doesn't always agree with her. I highly recommend this book and the entire series for that matter. Whether you're a fan of Amish fiction or not anyone who enjoys a suspense filled plot will certainly find this book fits the bill.

Another great read provided by my local library. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your wonderful comments make my day, thanks for dropping by!